3 tips for hiring a carpet cleaning service
Don't get swept under the rug when hiring a carpet cleaning service. And yes, it happens - it happened to me several years ago.
The professional carpet cleaning company I chose took my area rug back to the shop to clean, and I neglected to confirm the in-shop cleaning cost.
I got my rug back eventually for a king's ransom (well, it felt like it anyway) and the colors in the wool rug had run during cleaning. Big disappointment all the way around.
These tips can help you avoid getting swept under the rug when hiring a carpet cleaning service.
1. ask detailed questions about the carpet cleaning service to be provided.
Ask questions about cleaning services to be provided. Make sure the company understands and is able to meet your expectations. Good starter questions include:
- Do you charge extra to move furniture?
- Do you charge extra for "deep cleaning" or "pre-treating"?
- What is the cost per square foot?
- How long until I can walk on the clean carpet?
- What carpet cleaning solution do you use?
- Will fumes be a problem for kids, pets, or people with allergies?
- Do you have a copy of your liability insurance for my files?
- Is this a steam cleaning or shampooing?
- Are there any discounts or promotions you're running that can reduce the price?
Different professional cleaning services offer different cleaning options. Manage your expectations by conveying them to the cleaning company clearly - along with establishing the price of the carpet cleaning service - before work begins.
2. what to do before the carpet cleaner arrives.
- Remove kids, pets, and houseplants from the areas to be cleaned.
- Secure breakable and valuable items.
- Put clutter away. Clear knickknacks off furniture that the cleaners will be moving.
3. after the carpet cleaning.
- If you notice any areas unclean or not suitably shampooed, make them known to the cleaner immediately and ask that the area be re-cleaned.
Visit the Clean Organized Home Store for carpet cleaning products and supplies you need to keep your carpet looking its best.
More in Cleaning
About the Author
Tara Aronson is a native Californian. Having grown up in San Diego, she studied journalism and Spanish to pursue a career in newspaper writing. Tara, whose three children - Chris, Lyndsay, and Payne - are the light of her life, now lives and writes in Los Angeles. She also regularly appears on television news programs throughout the U.S.