halloween stains and how to
If you think every day clothing and carpet stains are scary, wait
until you see the tricky Halloween stains the (black) cat will drag in on October 31.
Pumpkin mush on ghostly costumes. Ghastly guests dripping party punch and red wine on themselves and your carpet pile.
These seasonal spills can turn even the sweetest Snow White hostess into a thundering headless horseman.
Save your home's carpets, your costume investment, and your sanity by being prepared for the ghastly spills, drips, and drops of Halloween ahead.
1. removing halloween stains on clothes.
Jack-o'-lantern brain surgery can be messy.
If you get splattered as you hack away at innocent pumpkins, be aware that time is of the essence for laundry stain removal.
Pumpkin stains are fruit sugars, which are pH- and time-sensitive.
like an apple slice will turn brown if left out, fruit will
cause a spot to develop on your clothes if allowed to sit over time.
These laundry stain removal tips can help:
- Get rid of any excess pumpkin guts by scooping away the excess.
- Run the fabric under cold water. Even if you can't wash the garment immediately, remove excess sugars with the cold-water rinse to prevent oxidation.
- Wash the garment in the warmest water safe for the fabric.
2. how to remove makeup stains.
If part of your ghostly complexion should end up on your costume, remain calm. These laundry stain removal tips can help remove makeup from clothes:
- Remove excess oil-based make up smudges on clothes as soon as possible. A smooth device like the back of a butter knife or a spoon works well for this purpose.
- Oil or wax-based make-ups have to be melted in order to be removed from
the fibers of the garment, so wash it in the warmest water possible.
3. tricks for removing treats.
Candies like chocolate and caramel, delicious though they are, are basically just fat and sugar -- just as evil on the front of your costume as they are on your hips.
These stain removal tips can help:
- Rub a little detergent into the stained area before washing.
- Use chlorine bleach or color safe bleach to finish up the job. Be careful to time the bleach right. Add the bleach during the rinse cycle, after your detergent has done its job.
4. how to remove halloween stains on carpet.
Party platters and bloody worms (spaghetti) can be murder on your carpet. Try these carpet spot removal tips before you call the coroner:
- Blot stain excess with a towel, or scrape away with a rounded spoon.
- Apply rubbing alcohol. Agitate slightly, then rinse with warm water. Blot with a towel.
- Continue to repeat the application of rubbing alcohol as long as the spill transfers to the towel. Be patient: several applications may be necessary.
- Apply diluted dishwashing liquid - one teaspoon per pint of warm water. Agitate slightly.
- Rinse with warm water, then blot with a towel. Repeat until the spill no longer transfers over to the towel.
- Apply white vinegar. Rinse thoroughly with warm water. Continue to rinse as long as foaming occurs from the detergent application.
- Top with a half-inch thick layer of paper towels to dry. Weight them down with a heavy object.
Happy Halloween - minus the carpet and clothing stains!
Visit the Clean Organized Home Store for the laundry stain removal products and supplies you need to keep your clothes looking their best.
More in Laundry
About the Author
Tara Aronson is a native Californian. Having grown up in San Diego, she studied journalism and Spanish to pursue a career in newspaper writing. Tara, whose three children - Chris, Lyndsay, and Payne - are the light of her life, now lives and writes in Los Angeles. She also regularly appears on television news programs throughout the U.S.