assigning kids chores by age
Getting kids to help with cleaning isn't easy, especially in the beginning.
Besides, how much help can you realistically expect from a child? The answer depends on the child's age.
Below are examples of kids chores that can generally be completed by certain ages. Your child may be capable of doing a task sooner or later, depending on her level of concentration, fine-motor skills, or maturity.
Once a child reaches a certain skill or age level, he can generally do the chores for his age group and those for the age groups below.
be there the first time your child tackles a new task
However, you'll want to there the first time your child tackles a new task, regardless of age.
Beginners need pointers for even the simplest jobs, such as washing dinner dishes by hand. What's second nature to us is a new experience for them.
For example, you have to explain which dishes should be washed first and why, and you need to show them how to stack the freshly washed items in the dryer rack so that it doesn't go crashing to the floor.
kids chores by age: 2 and under
- Put toys in bins or drawers
- Put dirty clothes in the hamper if the top is low enough
- Turn off the TV if the button is within reach
- Wipe feet before coming inside
kids chores for ages 3 to 5:
- Pull comforter up over bed
- Place dirty dishes on the kitchen counter
- Put away toys and games and all their pieces in the proper boxes or bins
- Return books to bookshelves
- Sponge down the play table
- Help unload the dishwasher
- Remove clothes from the dryer
- Take clean, folded clothes to his or her room
kids chores for ages 6 to 9:
- Clean pets' bowls and cages
- Do simple cooking tasks such as rinsing vegetables
- Put dishes in the dishwasher
- Vacuum, with help, depending on the machine's height and weight
- Prepare recyclables for pickup
- Fold simple laundry items
- Do easy yard work such as weeding and pruning with small shears
kids chores for ages 10 to 13:
- Do a surface cleaning of fridge
- Take trash containers to the curb
- Disinfect kitchen and bathroom countertops
- Sort, wash, and fold laundry
- Wipe clean the car's dashboard and upholstery
kids chores for ages 14 to 17:
- Clean toilet, sinks, and tub