bedroom kids chores by age
This guide to bedroom kids chores by age can help keep cleaning expectations for children realistic. Keep in mind that these age recommendations are just that, recommendations.
Your tidy 11-year-old who has been cleaning his room since age 2 can probably tackle some of the chores listed for teenagers if safety isn't an issue.
Conversely, if you've been the maid for your 13-year-old since she was born, you might have to start her off with the chores recommended for younger children.
Once a child reaches a certain age or skill level, he can generally do the bedroom kids chores for his age group and the age groups below.
Bedroom Kids Chores for Ages 2 and Under:
- Put toys and other items in bins or drawers.
- Put dirty clothes in hamper if the top is low enough.
Ages 3 to 5:
- Take clean, folded clothes to his or her room.
- Wash or spot-clean baseboards.
Ages 6 to 9:
- Shake area rugs, depending on size.
- Vacuum, with help depending on the machine's height and weight.
- Empty and wipe wastebaskets clean, using disinfecting wipes.
- Dust low furniture and shelves.
- Wipe smudges from walls and doors.
Ages 10 to 13:
- Disinfect light switches and doorknobs.
Ages 14 to 17:
- Dust and vacuum corners and crevices from high point to low.
Bedroom Kids Chores by Age