laundry chores for kids by age
This list of laundry chores for kids includes appropriate chores for each age group.
Once a child reaches a certain skill or age level, he can generally do the chores for his age group and those for the age groups below.
Though if your child has been doing some of the laundry with you for a few years now, he may be ready for some of the laundry tasks above his age level, if safety isn't an issue.
Laundry Chores for Kids Ages 2 and Under
- Put dirty clothes in the hamper if the top is low enough.
Chores for Kids Ages 3 to 5
- Remove clothes from the dryer.
- Take clean, folded clothes to his or her room.
- Air-tumble throw pillows in dryer.
Chores for Kids Ages 6 to 9
- Take hampers to the laundry room on wash day.
- Fold simple clothes items.
Chores for Kids Ages 10 to 13
- Sort, wash, and fold clothes.
Chores for Kids Ages 14 to 17
- Clean the dryer exhaust vent.
- Sew on buttons and mend torn clothes. (This could be a heavy-duty chore for extra pay or privileges.)
- Remove dust ruffle from beds to wash or dry-clean.