laundry chores for kids by age
Here are some laundry chores and the ages by which most kids are able to do them.
Once a child reaches a certain skill or age level, he can generally do the chores for his age group and those for the age groups below.
Of course, some of these chores need to be done each day, others once a week, and still others once a month or even less frequently. Use your best judgment for what gets done when.
laundry chores for kids ages 2 and under:
- Put dirty clothes in hamper if the top is low enough.
ages 3 to 5:
- Remove clothes from the dryer.
- Take clean, folded clothes to his or her room.
- Air-tumble throw pillows in dryer.
ages 6 to 9:
- Decide which clothes are dirty and which can be reworn.
- Take hampers to the wash room.
- Fold simple clothes items.
ages 10 to 13:
- Sort, wash, and fold clothes.
ages 14 to 17:
- Clean the dryer exhaust vent.
- Sew on buttons and mend torn clothes. (This could be a heavy-duty chore for extra pay or privileges.)
- Remove dust ruffle from beds to wash or dry-clean.