laundry chores for kids
Age Appropriate ways kids can help on wash day
Here are the common laundry chores and the ages by which most kids are able to do them.
Once a child reaches an individual skill or age level, he can generally do the chores for his age group and those for the age groups below.
If your child has been doing some of the laundry with you for a few years now, he may be ready for some of the laundry tasks above his age level, if safety isn't an issue.
Here's a guide to laundry chores for kids by age.
Laundry Chores for Kids Ages 2 and Under
- Put dirty clothes in the hamper if the top is low enough.
Ages 3 To 5
- Remove clothes from the dryer.
- Take clean, folded clothes to his or her room.
- Air-tumble throw pillows in dryer.
Ages 6 to 9
- Take hampers to the laundry room on wash day.
- Fold simple clothes items.
Ages 10 to 13
- Sort, wash, and fold clothes.
Ages 14 to 17
- Clean the dryer exhaust vent.
- Sew on buttons and mend torn clothes. (This could be a heavy-duty chore for extra pay or privileges.)
- Remove dust ruffle from beds to wash or dry-clean.
Laundry and Stains
Laundry Chores for Kids By Age