car cleaning with kids
Prevention is a large part of the cure when it comes to car cleaning. And preventing as much of the family dirt and debris from accumulating is really half the battle.
Here are a few prevention tips to consider to help make car cleaning with kids quicker and easier:
- Leather seats. If you're lucky enough to be car shopping, choose leather seats over upholstery. They wipe up more easily. Clean leather upholstery with a special cleaner/conditioner to keep it looking good and to help it last longer. Always wipe up the excess.
- If your seats are upholstered, cover them with waterproof seat covers, especially the seat that's home to your toddler or the dog.
- If you don't have floor mats, get them.
- To keep the car tidy, empty it of shoes, backpacks, papers - everything - after each outing. This includes emptying the trash. During the summer months, a single missed dumping can lead to some pretty rancid smells.
car chores for kids by age.
Here's a list of car cleaning chores kids can generally do by age:
Ages 2 and under:
- Take the toys they brought into the car out of the car
Ages 3 to 5:
- Take their backpacks from the car into the house
Ages 6 to 9:
- Pick up trash in car and empty the bag
- Vacuum out the car, with help depending on the machine's height and weight
Ages 10 to 13:
- Wipe off the car's dashboard and upholstery
Ages 14 to 17:
- Wash the car's undercarriage each spring.
Check out the Clean Organized Home Store for the cleaning, organizing, and decorating products and tools you need for every room in your home.