car cleaning with kids
Prevention is a large part of the cure when it comes to car cleaning.
And preventing as much of the family dirt and debris from accumulating is really half the battle.
Here are a few prevention tips to consider to help make car cleaning with kids quicker and easier:
- Leather seats. If you're lucky enough to be car shopping, choose leather seats over upholstery. They wipe up more easily. Clean leather upholstery with a special cleaner/conditioner to keep it looking good and to help it last longer. Always wipe up the excess.
- If your seats are upholstered, cover them with waterproof seat covers, especially the seat that's home to your toddler or the dog.
- If you don't have floor mats, get them.
- To keep the car tidy, empty it of shoes, backpacks, papers - everything - after each outing. This includes emptying the trash. During the summer months, a single missed dumping can lead to some pretty rancid smells.
car chores for kids by age.
Here's a list of car cleaning chores kids can generally do by age:
Ages 2 and under:
- Take the toys they brought into the car out of the car
Ages 3 to 5:
- Take their backpacks from the car into the house
Ages 6 to 9:
- Pick up trash in car and empty the bag
- Vacuum out the car, with help depending on the machine's height and weight
Ages 10 to 13:
- Wipe off the car's dashboard and upholstery
Ages 14 to 17:
- Wash the car's undercarriage each spring.
Check out the Clean Organized Home Store for the cleaning, organizing, and decorating products and tools you need for every room in your home.
More Family Car Stories
About the Author
Tara Aronson is a native Californian. Having grown up in San Diego, she studied journalism and Spanish to pursue a career in newspaper writing. Tara, whose three children - Chris, Lyndsay, and Payne - are the light of her life, now lives and writes in Los Angeles. She also regularly appears on television news programs throughout the U.S.