Try A Cleaning Cocktail
When cleaning tasks are at hand, go ahead and reach for a bottle of vodka.
Yes, you read that right.
No, it's not happy hour ... yet. It's time to stir up the housekeeping routine with a cleaning cocktail.
Shaken or stirred, vodka is a perfect cleaning solution for the chemically sensitive and an excellent degreaser, with the added benefit of being both odorless and colorless.
Although most forms of vodka contain alcohol concentrations too low to be considered an effective disinfectant (around 40 percent versus the minimum 70 percent needed), you can take advantage of that leftover vodka from your last party and use it as an all-purpose cleaner.
A Cleaning Cocktail for grease and grime
So the next time you need to show that grimy tub or crumby countertop who's boss, stir up a "cleaning cocktail."
You can use vodka by itself or create a cleaning solution using a 1:1 vodka-water mix. To use:
- Dip a sponge or rag in the vodka cleaning solution, apply to the surface to be cleaned, and wipe off. You can also put the solution in a spray bottle for easy spritzing and cleaning.
- To keep those unsightly toilet rings from forming, pour a half cup of vodka into the bowl monthly. Let it sit overnight if possible, and flush to clean. While you're there, wipe down the seat and lid.
- To add a fresh citrus scent, fill a spray bottle with vodka, drop in some lemon or orange peels, and let it sit. The citric acid in orange peels will be dissolved by the vodka, further boosting vodka's cleaning might.
No need to break out the Belvedere or Grey Goose here - the cheap stuff works just as well as the top-shelf bottles - for less.
You Might Like These
If your marble's looking a bit lackluster, chances are it's begging for a cleaning. These marble cleaning tips can help.
Brick is one of the most lovely design accents a home can have. Whether indoor or out, however, it gets dirty. Really dirty. Here are 3 ways to clean brick.
Washing curtains, drapes, and other window treatments at home is a relatively easy and cost-effective solution. These cleaning tips can help get the job done.
A house cleaning timetable of chores to tackle daily, weekly, monthly, and annually - and when to do them.
Seasonal allergies can reduce kids - and adults - to a sniffling, sneezing, uncomfortable mess. This room-by-room allergy relief cleaning guide can help.
Science can't explain it, but soft drinks, crumbs, and coffee are attracted to computer keyboards like magnets. These tips for a clean computer can help.
How do you clean cloudy glass? The answer begins with understanding what causes glasses to become cloudy. These tips can help clean cloudy glass and restore its former lustre.
If, despite all of your planning and motivating efforts, your kids don't get the job done, be ready with natural consequences for kids. Here are easy examples.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.