Homemade Ornament Ideas
To make personalized ornaments, you'll need a package or two of clear glass ornaments and several bottles of acrylic paint. The metallic colors, especially gold and silver, work best. We also used a deep red, blue, and green with great success on our handmade ornaments, too.
The night before you're going to create your holiday masterpieces, take off the ornament tops and then pour a little rubbing alcohol inside of each. Swish it around, and dump it out. This cleans the interior of any dust or dirt so that you have a fresh surface to work with.
Turn the Christmas ornaments upside down to drain. The next morning, gather paints, the glass ornaments, and cover your work surface with newspapers to protect it.
This is a bit of a messy job. But the festive result is well worth the extra clean-up time. Here are a few homemade ornament ideas you can try at home.
Add Color Inside Each Ornament
Squirt about three teaspoons (three little squirts) of several different acrylic paints into each ornament.
thumb over the top hole, gently swirl the colors around until they're
mixed the way you like them. Then place them gently back in the
box, upside down, with fresh newspapers underneath. Allow to dry a
couple of days before using or wrapping as your customized holiday gifts.
Finish by placing the tops back on and tie with a festive
ribbon. Consider stringing beads on the hook for added sparkle. These are great gifts for teachers and grandparents.
Homemade Ornament Ideas if You Want to Get Really Festive
- Personalize it. You
can write your name (or the name of the person you're giving it to) on
the front along with the year in glitter glue or using an acrylic paint pen.
- Make it sparkle. Instead of putting paint in the glass ornament squirt in a little glue and then pour in glitter and swish it around. Then pour out the leftover and let dry. Don't use too much - you don't want the whole ball covered - you want to create a pattern.
- We liked using white glitter. After it dries, stuff the ornament with confetti or beads and your child's class picture.
- Design it. You could also write the person's name on the ball with clear glue and then roll the ball in glitter.
- Or, you could make a design on the ball - like a snowman - and roll the ball in white glitter. Or, you could outline a tree with the glue and turn it in green glitter. After it dries, glue on little colored beads.
Those are our homemade ornament ideas. But the possibilities are endless. Use your imagination to create memories of the season that best reflect your personality and style.
You might like these:
These holiday organizing ideas for kids' bedrooms do two great things: they get rid of fallen-from-favor toys and free up space for incoming gifts from Santa.
Ideas for eco friendly gifts for everyone on your holiday list. These gifts are reusable, recyclable, or create no waste at all - and come from the heart.
People will sometimes ask if they can bring extended family along for a get-together, especially around the holidays. These holiday safety tips can help ensure a safe visit for all.
Give yourself an early present and reorganize your kitchen so that it's functional for the holidays. These holiday kitchen organizing tips can help.
Give a belated gift to Mother Earth by reducing what you send to landfills with these holiday green cleaning tips.
Keeping holiday garland fresh - and green - especially indoors, is a challenge. These tips for keeping greenery fresh can help.
'Tis the season for sparkling elegance and festive decor. Easy Christmas decorating ideas to get your home decked out for the holiday season.
How to organize holiday life so that you and your family can enjoy the season without being crazy busy. Get out your calendar and a pen and paper.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.