how to remove carpet pet stains
Even the best pet makes a mess sometimes.
Carpet cleaning is most successful when you attack stains - especially pet stains - while they're still fresh.
The tips and techniques below can help you remove carpet pet stains from your carpet successfully.
How to Remove Carpet Pet Stains: Urine
- Start by soaking up as much of the urine as possible. Use a white rag or white paper towels to absorb the urine.
- Blot on a solution of one-quarter teaspoon of mild liquid laundry detergent and one cup of warm water. Use white paper towels (print towels could transfer ink to your carpet) or a clean rag. Repeat until there is no more of the pet stain transferring to your paper towel or rag.
- Now, blot the stained area with a solution of one cup white vinegar to two cups water. Repeat this step to remove stubborn stains or odors.
- Once you can no longer see the carpet stain, rinse the solution from the carpet. Again use paper towels or a clean rag, blotting clear water on the stained area to gently rinse the cleaners from the fabric pile.
- Cover the treated area with several layers of paper towels to absorb any remaining moisture. Weigh the paper towels down with a heavy, non-fading object. Continue changing the paper towels
until the carpet is dry.
The Party Pooper
No one said carpet cleaning pet stains would be pleasant, right? But if it can get rid of the smelly, unsightly problem, it might just be worth it.
So here's how to remove carpet pet stains from the party pooper:
- Gently scoop up the excess - um, pet material - with a spoon or spatula. Deposit into a bag that you can immediately take outside.
- Blot the stained carpet area with a vinegar solution; mix one cup vinegar and two cups warm water, and blot on to the stained area. Allow
the solution to soak for several minutes.
- Blot, repeat until the pet stain is removed. Rinse with cold water. Blot dry.
- To remove lingering carpet pet odors, sprinkle baking soda on the spot. Let it sit overnight, and then
This might also
be a great time to consider the benefits of a good pet trainer.