kitchen cleaning with kids
At what age can a child set and clear the table?When can a kid take out the garbage? Kitchen cleaning chores don't top anyone's house cleaning list - but it sure beats cleaning the bathroom hands-down.
You could always give your kids the option of scrubbing the toilet if they're not in the mood to rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher.
This quick guide will help make kitchen cleaning with kids a snap.
kitchen cleaning chores for ages 2 and under:
- Wipe feet before coming inside
- Close cabinet doors and drawers
cleaning chores for ages 3 to 5:
- Place dirty dishes on the kitchen counter
- Sponge down the play table
- Help unload the dishwasher
cleaning chores for ages 6 to 9:
- Do some simple cooking tasks such as rinsing vegetable
- Put dishes into the dishwasher
- Wipe kitchen table, chairs, high chair, counters, and cooktop or range
- Wipe down the interior of the microwave
- Sweep or vacuum kitchen floor and damp-mop any spills
- Bring groceries in from the car
- Empty and wipe wastebaskets clean, using disinfecting wipes
cleaning chores for ages 10 to 13:
- Disinfect kitchen countertops
cleaning chores for ages 14 to 17:
- Clean coffeemaker thoroughly
- Scrub or strip and wax floors
final tips for kitchen cleaning with kids.
In addition to cleaning, there are other housekeeping chores in the kitchen. For those, such as setting and clearing the table, eliminate the "I did it last time" excuse by assigning permanent rotations that are easy to remember, such as odd or even days of the month assigned to each child.