kitchen cleaning with kids
At what age can a child set and clear the table? When can a kid take out the garbage?
Cleaning the kitchen doesn't' top anyone's house cleaning list - but it sure beats cleaning the bathroom hands-down.
You could always give your kids the option of scrubbing the toilet if they're not in the mood to rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher.
This guide to kitchen cleaning with kids by age will help keep expectations realistic - and get the kitchen clean in the process!
Kitchen Cleaning With Kids: Chores for Ages 2 and Under
- Close cabinet doors and drawers
Chores for Kids Ages 3 to 5:
- Place dirty dishes on the kitchen counter
- Sponge down the play table
- Help unload the dishwasher
Chores for Kids Ages 6 to 9:
- Do some simple cooking tasks such as rinsing vegetables
- Put dishes into the dishwasher
- Wipe kitchen table, chairs, high chair, counters, and cooktop or range
- Wipe down the interior of the microwave
- Sweep or vacuum kitchen floor and damp-mop any spills
- Empty and wipe wastebaskets clean, using disinfecting wipes
Chores for Kids Ages 10 to 13:
- Disinfect kitchen countertops
Chores for Teens Ages 14 to 17:
- Clean coffeemaker thoroughly