Laundry Chores for Kids by Age
Here are the common wash day chores and the ages by which most kids are able to do them. Once a child reaches an individual skill or age level, he can generally do the chores for his age group and those for the age groups below.
If your child has been doing some of the wash with you for a few years now, he may be ready for some of the wash-day tasks above his age level, if safety isn't an issue. This guide to laundry chores for kids by age can help sort things out.
Laundry Chores for Kids by Age 2 and Under:
- Put dirty clothes in the hamper if the top is low enough.
Laundry Chores for Kids by Age 3 To 5:
- Remove clothes from the dryer.
- Take clean, folded clothes to his or her room.
- Air-tumble throw pillows in dryer.
Laundry Chores for Kids by Age 6 to 9:
- Take hampers to the laundry room on wash day.
- Fold simple clothes items.
Laundry Chores for Kids by Age 10 to 13:
- Sort, wash, and fold clothes.
Laundry Chores for Kids by Age 14 to 17:
- Clean the dryer exhaust vent.
- Sew on buttons and mend torn clothes. (This could be a heavy-duty chore for extra pay or privileges.)
- Remove dust ruffle from beds to wash or dry-clean.