Outdoor Chores for Kids by Age
Here's a guide to which patio chores kids can do around the yard, organized by age group.
Once a child reaches a particular skill or age level, he can generally do the patio chores for his age group and those for the age group below.
Of course, some of these chores need to be done each day, others once a week, and still, others once a month or even less frequently.
Use your best judgment for which patio chores gets done when.
Patio Chores for Ages 2 and Under:
Ages 3 to 5:
- Put away outside toys and games (and all their pieces) in the proper boxes or bins
- Sponge down the outdoor play table
Ages 6 to 9:
- Sweep the patio and porches
- Wipe patio table and chairs
- Do easy yard work such as weeding
- Help test the pool or hot tub water
- Help balance the pool or hot tub pH
- Help clean the pool strainer baskets
- Prepare recyclables for pickup
Ages 10 to 13:
- Take trash and recycling containers to the curb
- Cut flowers for the house
- Vacuum the pool once a week
- Scrub the pool sides occasionally
- Fish surface litter out of a pool (with a grown-up's supervision, of course)
Ages 14 to 17:
Previous chores, plus:
- Do yard work such as pruning
- Check the pool or hot-tub filter
Backyard and Gardens
Backyard and Patio Chores for Kids by Age