3 natural solutions that can help
An ant problem at home is frustrating, to say the least. You want to stop ants - stat!
But you also don't want to take any chances with your family's health, and are understandably reluctant to call an exterminator.
Choosing a natural ant killer is the best ant removal strategy if you have children and pets at home.
Here are 3 effective, non-toxic pest control methods that can stop an ant problem in its tracks.
1. Solve an Ant Problem Naturally with Peppermint Soap
is a natural way to get rid of ants. To create, mix 3 tablespoons peppermint soap bar shavings and 16 ounces of water.
Spray from a squirt bottle directly on the little marchers to stop them in their tracks. Wipe up any lingering incentive for followers by removing all traces of the little black ants with damp paper towels.
2. Use a Boric Acid Bait for Indoor Ant Control
Lay down boric acid baits
for indoor ant control. These baits work well using a minimum of insecticide.
The biggest plus here is that
boric acid baits are also effective at eliminating the ringleader: the
scout. (That's the one leading the pack to your food and water.)
3. Douse Ants with Diatomaceous Earth
Powder wall cracks and baseboards with Diatomaceous Earth
. It's a non-toxic, insect-repelling dust that will send the annoying army marching elsewhere.
How to Stop An Ant Problem Before It Starts
- Keep your home clean and dry. Insects need both food and water to live inside.
- Keep garbage cans inside your home clean. Seal tightly to prevent insect infiltration.
- Seal wall cracks with caulk. Weather-strip doors and windows to seal out insects.
- Create a barrier around pet food dishes. Fill a shallow, wide container - such as a cereal bowl - half full of soapy water, then place the cat food dishes inside.