house cleaning timetable
How often should you tackle various housecleaning chores?
The answer depends on how fastidious you are, how much time you have to clean, and how active your family is in your home.
Here's a general house cleaning timetable that can help you put your housecleaning on a yearlong schedule.
For easy reference, print this page and post it where you store your cleaning supplies.
Daily House Cleaning Timetable
In the Kitchen
- Rinse sink clean after each use.
- Put dishes in dishwasher (or hand-wash after use.)
- Wipe clean kitchen table, counters, and cook top or range.
- Wipe down interior of the microwave.
- Squeegee shower (or sponge-clean the tub).
- Wipe down counter tops after use.
Weekly House Cleaning Timetable
- Sort, wash, and fold laundry.
- Dust furniture, shelves, and lamp shades.
- Wash out kitchen trash container and surrounding area.
- Wipe leather furniture with a soft cloth.
- Scoop and clean out the cat's litter box.
- Shake area rugs, depending on size.
- Clean telephones, computer and laptop screens, TV screens, video-game controllers and remote controls.
- Hang up clothes, tidy the closet.
- Wipe chrome fixtures, clean mirrors.
- Put out fresh towels and soap.
Monthly House Cleaning Routine
- Vacuum furniture and curtains.
- Sweep and tidy up the garage.
- Wipe down walls of fingerprints, spills.
- Organize closets and clothes.
Seasonal Home Cleaning
- Sweep the patio and porch.
- Clean the dryer's exhaust vent.
- Turn and vacuum mattresses.
Yearly House Cleaning Schedule
- Scrub or strip and wax floors.
- Wash and polish wood furniture.
- Dust and vacuum corners and crevices from high point to low.
- Remove dust ruffles from beds to wash or dry-clean.
- Check washing machine hoses. Replace if they're older than two years.
- Vacuum heating vents and ducts.
Click on the blue chores app - above, right - to download a free chores planner you can customize to create your house cleaning timetable.